weddingsa.com Forum Index Wedding SA forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile     Log inLog in 
Wedding Directory : Bride of the Month : Forum Rules : Profiles : Weddings : Classifieds : Links : Home : 

YOU KITCHEN HOW MUCH???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    weddingsa.com Forum Index -> Renovation Rescue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monaclare
Wedding Chatterbox
Wedding Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: YOU KITCHEN HOW MUCH??? Reply with quote

Grrrr I just wrote this and it didnt work...

I rang wallspan and the lady was saying the average kitchen price was about 13,000 Shocked has anyone bought their appliances before hand and tiled themselves, plumbing etc? Can you give me an idea of how much the basic kitchen shell was, cabinets and tops without everything else?? I know there may not be many replies but thought I would ask. The lady at wallspan said they go through certegy and if the kitchen was 13,000 there would be 78 fotnightly payments of $166...and yeah for everything included 13,000 is reasonable but want to save where we can, i know there are DIY options but thought id hear if anyone had gone through uzit, wallspan etc... Very Happy

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the price depends on how many cupboards, how much bench is required etc. So, pretty hard to tell what the average price is. But it does seem reasonable for a small-medium kitchen.

I've only got a unit, the whole kitchen is probably only 6 square meters, and it ended up costing about $13K about 5 years ago with granite top, applicances (not fridge or m/wave), electrics, plumbing, floor, etc.

If you try to diy, you'll end up buying tools you never thought you'd need. Also, You only got to drop a cupboard whilst trying to hang, and do some damage before DIY becomes costly. I guess it depends on how good your handy skills are. One of my friends did a DIY kitchen & it really didn't add any value to the property. The microwave section wasn't reinforced and started to sag, some of the cupboards didn't seem level. There is a real knack to putting flat pack together, it all comes together, not each cupboard individually packaged.. it could be quite timeconsuming and frustrating to sort out which piece is for what.

I'd suggest save for a while and see if tradie prices come down a bit.. they maybe looking for work in a few months if the economy slows down more.
Bex
Happily Married
Happily Married

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with webbie, unless you have a carpenter for a dh then its not worth the frustration.

We have just got a new kitchen and including appliances spent just over $20000. We originally wanted to spend $8000 but that was very unrelialistic for the quality we wanted.

One word of advice. We went through Harvey Norman Kitchens and it took 6 months before it was completely finished. Although, we are very happy with the quality, their committment to finishing a project on time was disgusting. We were originally told 3 days from start to finish, haha! They loved to lay the blame game on anyone that no longer worked for their company. We were completely without a kitchen for 3 weeks.
Wedding Chatterbox
Wedding Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Very Happy DH is a carpenter actually but id trust him to build me a house or pergola but not a kitchen, ooooh he would kill me if he heard me say that lol!!! That microwave sag example is exactly what im worried about, little things that would be properly fixed by a cabinet making company, think ill be going with a kitchen company that do it EVERYDAY OVER AND OVER, thanks for the warning re harveys Thumbs up

ANY OTHER VIEWS ON DIFFERENT COMPANIES WOULD BE GREAT Help

monaclare
Wedding Chatterbox
Wedding Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bex how big was your kitchen? did they do interest free? im assuming your tops were stone then? and im also assuming the splash back etc is usually included in pricing??? sorry 20 questions Smile

Bex
Happily Married
Happily Married

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only have a smallish kitchen, around 5m x 3m I think. We wanted plenty of cupboard space. Our bench tops are laminate, stone was a lot more expensive. We ended up tiling our dining area as well which was previously carpeted and that added another $1500. I will post a pic a bit later on when Charlotte goes to sleep and dh can help me lol.
Happily Married
Happily Married

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we built, we used a company called Lifestyle Kitchens. They are in the Oaklands Park area and they were fantastic. We eneded up using them for all the joinery in our house and have recommended them to other people who have been just as happy.

One thing we did find at the time of building is that the larger places (wallspan, jag, etc) often market and sell the stuff and use another company to manufacture the product, so you are paying two lots of mark-ups (make sense?). Smaller companies tend to manufacture, install, sell etc themselves so costs are a bit lower.

i can't remember now how much we paid, but they were the best price when we put it in and we got prices from a couple of places. We were very happy with the finished product and i think it looks as good now as when we did it a couple of years ago.
monaclare
Wedding Chatterbox
Wedding Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, leonie our new house is in darlington so will have to look at your kitchen place Very Happy yes post a pic bex, everyone post a pic! lol Very Happy

3babiesallgirls
Wedding Chatterbox
Wedding Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my BIL and h2b have built their, BIL, house including their kitchen! I may be biased but i can reccomend their business to build yours Smile Their main business is air con but with winter fast approaching their business is expanding into building/property maintenance. Flat packs are cheap as and if you boight one of these say from bunnings or IKEA or wherever they could easily install it for you. Let me know if you would like their details

It's time to do something for myself rather then doing everything for everyone else
monaclare
Wedding Chatterbox
Wedding Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 3 babies, your BIL will have to start paying you soon you do a wonderful job of promoting his work, dh is a carpenter so if we went flat pack he would put it in, omg i could only imagine the fights haha, i cant stand assembling things but im a great supervisor lol Rolling Eyes

*~*Lou*~*
Prime Prattler
Prime Prattler

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My h2b just made and installed mine ( hes a cabinetmaker/shopfitter....i think all up it cost 2 thousand dollars(not including appliances)....the most expensive part were the benchtops which were 1000. Its not completly finished yet....have to get the splashback made. If we had it made by a company it would have cost well over 10g. If you are still looking for someone to build and install a kitchen let me know....i will post my inspiration pic that he basically copied...it looks pretty much exactly the same just the benchtop colour is diff (if he were to make this same kitchen you would be looking at approx 5 -6 g for him to make)

telemnar
Happily Married
Happily Married

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lou

Just thought I'd let you know that MC is actually on holidays atm so she probably won't get back to you on this post for a few weeks. Very Happy
Walking Wedding Planner
Walking Wedding Planner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Lou* I'd love to grab your husband's details if possible Smile
Wedding Chatterbox
Wedding Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 months ago we put new kitchens in two houses at the same time (as a side note, never again will I renovate two houses at once - uugggh!).

To save some cash we used the same kit kitchen builder for both. So they essentially have the same kitchens, but you can see from the photos that the kitchens look incredibly different because of layout, splashbacks and bench tops.

This one cost us $7300 in total - $4600 for the kitchen cabinets (including delivery and installation), $1200 for appliances and $1500 for the splashback.

This one also cost us $7300 - $4000 for the kitchen cabinets (including delivery and installation), $1200 for appliances and $2100 for the splashback.

I'm happy to dig out the details of the kit kitchen guy if anyone's interested.
chichi
Wedding Chatterbox
Wedding Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lou,

I would be interested in getting your husband's details. It wouldn't be for a kitchen though ..... we need a cabinet built for our back wall with built in wine racks. Anyway if your Husband is interested please pass on his details and we will get him to come and have a look.
Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    weddingsa.com Forum Index -> Renovation Rescue All times are GMT + 9.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: